In the Fort near Aalsmeer you'll find the CRASH Luchtoorlog en Verzetmuseum (Aerial Warfare and Resistance Museum) ’40-’45, which is open on Saturdays. Children aged 0-6 years, donors and Veteran's pass holders can visit the museum for free.
Because it was used by the fire department to hold fire drills, part of the internal structure of the Fort near Aalsmeer is damaged. In 1996 the fort was beautifully restored on the outside, though. Remarkably, the gun turret buildings have remained intact. Most of the retractable turrets for this type of fort were removed during World War II by blowing up the small buildings that housed them. At this fort they were dismantled, though, leaving the buildings intact.
The Fort near Aalsmeer was intended to defend the ring dike (Haarlemmerringdijk), ring canal and the permanently dry strip of land. It also served as a defence for the Aalsmeerderweg and Aalsmeerdertocht roads. The fort was built in 1905 and outfitted with a double moat, because of the rising terrain on the edge of the polder that is difficult to flood. Northwest of the fort is a double lift-lock that served as an inlet for the inundation water of the ring canal into the Voorkanaal.
Partially wheelchair accessible.