The Fort along Den Ham houses a military museum. In the former barracks you can visit an exhibition about World War II. There is also authentic military radio and communication material to marvel over. In addition, the fortress is home to a photo exhibition space and a Scouting museum.
Many of the wooden partitions in the fort’s premises are still present. The same is true for the sanitation facilities, which are in perfect condition. The wooden engineer depot is still visible as well.
The fort can be visited alone. Groups may visit and take a tour of the fortress by appointment. Reservations can be made via the website.
The Fort along Den Ham was created to defend the access that was formed by the Krommenie-Uitgeest railroad. The defensible earthwork was finished in 1896 and completion of the shellproof building followed in 1903. Because of its limited function, this relatively small fort only featured a retractable turret. South of the fort a secondary battery was constructed from concrete in 1903, behind which artillery could be positioned.
The fort is open every last Sunday of the month from April through October. Throughout the year, the fort features open days on Wednesdays.
Wheelchair accessible: Yes.