The Fort near Penningsveer is a provincial monument. The wooden fort watchman's house is the sole Defence Line property that has two floors with living facilities. After the Second World War, the fortress was used for a while as an internment camp for collaborators. Today, the fort serves as group accommodation for schools and institutions who hold training courses and events. Some of the rooms are rented out to small (starting) companies.
The Fort near Penningsveer is not freely accessible. However, tours are available by appointment.
The Fort near Penningsveer was built between 1895 and 1901. From 1913 to 1922, it was manned on a permanent basis. North of the fort, along the Lagedijk (dike), you can find a concrete secondary battery and accommodation that offered protection against fragmentation ammunition. South of the fort there are inlet sluices that could be used to flood the land with water from the river Liede for military purposes.
Visit www.heeerlijk.nl for high tea's, high wines and cooking workshops.
Partially wheelchair accessible.