The Fort north of Spaarndam is still in the state it was abandoned in, in the year 1950. A German searchlight bunker from World War II with adjustable table and a spot for the generator are still in place. Behind the fort are dam sluices with slots in which slides could be lowered to stop the water. The unloading area at Side Canal B was connected to the fortress by a narrow gauge train track, whose remnants are still visible.
The Fort north of Spaarndam served as a defence for the Slaperdijk (dike) with the Westlaan (lane). The defensible earthwork was completed in 1895, the shellproof building in 1901. The fortress is connected with the Fort south of Spaarndam through a defensive wall. Together these two strongholds formed the Position Spaarndam, which served to defend the sluices in the village of the same name.
The Fort north of Spaarndam is open to the public a few times a year.
Partially wheelchair accessible.