The Fort along Nekkerweg is home to a special resort: Fort Resort Beemster. It combines hotel and restaurant facilities with a spa/wellness and conference centre. The entire resort has a zero carbon footprint.
What remains of the fortress are the concrete machine gun positions on top of the front wall and the fort watchman’s house.
In 1886 the Fort along Nekkerweg was completed as a defendable earthwork. The shellproof building was finished in 1912 for the purpose of defending the accesses that were formed by the Nekkerweg and Volgerweg roads in the Beemster Polder. For a short period of time the fortress served as a prison, along with the Fort along Jisperweg and the Fort near Spijkerboor. In 1918 it was put to use as a military building for the detainment of men who were to be brought before the military court, primarily conscientious objectors. The inlet sluice that can be opened to inundate (flood) the Beemster Polder is situated in between the Fort along Middenweg and the Fort along Nekkerweg.
Partially wheelchair accessible.